Wednesday 22 February 2012

Belting out nasally ‘Chief cook and bottle washer’ from the musical ‘The Rink’


My eternal task master.


I’ve just spent two hours making the house look passingly presentable. Two hours that could have been spent doing something far more productive and contributive to the human condition.  It could have been two hours better spent looking for freelance work to start on once my paid maternity leave ends in April, or I could have done some more research into ‘Objective C’, OR I could have come up with an economic theory that would bring world peace!!! I’m pretty sure if I didn’t need to bleach the kitchen sink and scrub the hob, I’d be capable of that… or at least be able to budget to pay the credit card bill in full.

It’s not as if this house ever gets into a really grim state, we have a cleaner once a week (a necessity in a shared house to stop us all murdering each other over whose turn it is to scrub the toilet out) but obviously, a pack of small children produces daily mess that needs to be dealt with.

Ed was a stay at home dad to Kam and Reuben for 18 months and he did not tear his hair out over the housework in the way I do, probably because he is sane and doesn't subconsciously attach it to his sense of self-worth. Things were a lot messier, but no-one caught a derivative of e-coli and it was fine, FINE. And the kids had fun. But still, I felt judged on the way the house sometimes was, which was stupid, but that’s often how I felt. There’s muddy welly prints on the kitchen floor! Oh my god! My mother in law’s going to think I’m a complete and utter slattern! When, to be honest, all my mother in law notices when she comes over, is how many sweets she can get into my children’s belly’s on every visit. It’s yet another example of how we pile unnecessary pressure on ourselves ladies, seriously, as long as they’re not risking death by visiting an unfit hovel, NO ONE CARES! And if they do? Do you really want a judgemental knobber like that in your life? This isn’t me giving myself carte blanche, however. Good god, no. The daily cleaning and tidying will have to continue or I’d probably drown in a sea of dirty, small boy underwear, shoes and paraphernalia.  

And I know it looks like I’ve broken one of my own Appymum rules by discussing housework, but I’ve only really mentioned the psychological make-up and values attached to housework. WORLD of difference… I think!

Appymum project: Friday is a big day, Friday is payday and the day I get my donated Mac fully up and running. EXCITING TIMES! I still have no idea what sort of App I’d like to develop, or had much time to research this. See above sink bleaching and hob scrubbing, but I’m getting there dammit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment