Thursday 9 February 2012

Shaking my derriere to Beyonce’s ‘Run the world’


I have a computer based legacy to uphold don’t you know?

Daily Mail, You surprise me! There is actually a semi coherent article about the position many mothers find themselves in when re-entering the job market. And there’s not a sneering - ‘it’s working mothers fault for everything. House prices, the economy, AIDS’ - in sight! (Except maybe in the comments, NEVER read the the Daily Mail comments unless your particularly want an insight into a rampantly psychotic misogynist’s mind set).  


Anyway: Operation learn C++ is off to a flying start. My first big discovery is to find that the software for developing C++ on a Windows based platform is prohibitively expensive, marvellous. Although not being completely naïve to the price of software, this did not come as a huge shock.   

Luckily, I hail from an illustrious background of huge computer geekery proportions. The legacy of which means my house is teeming with abandoned bits of old tech I can put to, if not good, at least interesting and experimental use. There’s an old PC that my brother built from scratch currently un-used in the garden shed so I will be converting it to run a freeware operating system called GNU. I’m pretty sure they’ll have a free C++ tool I can use.      

Operation piece of crap Mac: Ebay will be my friend, Ebay is always my friend. Come payday I am all over those 2nd hand Mac sellers. And it’s the not the usual Mac I tend to bid for. As far as I’m concerned when you’re speaking ‘Mac’, you’re normally talking about my favourite makeup brand.

So I went to a Croydon business ‘tweet up’ this evening. It was… well, I’m very glad Liz was there to have a bevvie and a decent conversation with, that made it worthwhile.

Tomorrow’s big plan will involve dragging the PC that’s currently in the shed up to the house and setting it up somewhere habitable. I’m thinking the bedroom that already houses myself and Ed. Not to mention the baby. Speaking of which, I promise to explain our household situation and all its inhabitants fully and in detail tomorrow, although you probably know them already. If anyone but my mother reads these posts word for word it will come as a huuuuuuge shock. 

4 comments:

  1. Everyone knows that you only look at the pictures and browse the poisonous comments on the Daily Mail, silly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to play DM comments bingo. If I don't see benefits, single mothers and 'yuman rights slagged off I've failed. It doesn't happen very often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading word for word! :-) Caley x

    ReplyDelete