Friday 10 February 2012

I’m ‘Star Trekking across the universe’, no really.


She has a plan, Stan!

I’ve come across this fantastic article in ‘the Guardian’ (natch). It’s a little old, but still relevant I think:

How to become an iPhone App developer in 8 easy steps

So I’m now going to summarise the steps and what they mean to me:

1) Buy a Mac

It CAN be a piece of crap one providing it runs Leopard as its Operating System and the dude featured in the article (Ethan Nicolas, the creator of ‘ishoot’) was balancing a baby on his lap while developing it. I’ll repeat that again, HE WAS BALANCING A BABY ON HIS LAP WHILE HE WAS DEVELOPING IT! Oh my days, just how much on the same wavelength are we? It’s almost like we live the same lives! Disclaimer: I seriously doubt we live anything like the same lives, but it’s heartening to hear this can be done one-handed while you clear up toddler vom with the other.

2) Download the SDK (Software developers Kit)

Yup, can do. Just need to get my hands on a piece of crap Mac first.

3) Learn ‘Objective C’

‘Objective C’ is the programming language I’m going to need to create an iPhone App. The reason I am going to learn another programming language called ‘C++’ first (or at least give myself a crash course in it) is to familiarise myself with programming languages in general and ‘C++’ is very transferable language to learn. And I have some time to kill before I can afford to buy a piece of crap Mac.

4) Start writing something!

I’ll try! I’m guessing this doesn’t refer to an essay? Shame, as I’m cracking at those.

5) Sign up as an official iPhone developer

Cool beans. There’s a $99 sign-up fee but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

6) Prepare for a few weeks of work…

Or in my case, as a complete novice, whose run ragged with small children, prepare for a few months of work…

7) Submit your App to Apple

Noted.

8) Adapt, market and survive!

I have a feeling along with the programming THIS will be the hardest stage.

So that’s what I need to do, it’s excellent having it listed like this. It makes it all seem so much more achievable and my brain is screaming “turn back now!” at a slightly lesser volume than it was before. I can hear the TV over it now, which is lovely.    

2 comments:

  1. Go you!! Objective C is according to my husband a complete pain in the arse and he wishes they used Ruby (easier, faster and cleaner). But that's what Apple wants and that what Apple gets.

    But there are some good programming exercises kicking around the web, follow them and you'll be on the right track. This one looks quite a good place to start http://www.otierney.net/objective-c.html

    Just remember even if your App doesn't make millions, iPhone developers with not much experience make £200-300 a DAY in London, so well worth mastering x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As ever Liz, stellar advice. Thank you, thank you, thank you :) I hope you don't mind but I'll probably turn to you and Paul if I have any technical questions that I can't seem to work through myself!

    ReplyDelete